About a third of one’s life is dedicated to work, which is why it is crucial that proper posture is exercised by employees. According to Spine-Health.com, “Over time, poor posture may be caused by habits from everyday activities such as sitting in office chairs, staring at the computer, cradling a cell phone, carrying a purse over same shoulder, driving, prolonged standing, caring for small children, or even sleeping.”
To combat the effects of poor posture (especially at work) suitable working stances should not be entirely just about how a person is seated, or how the arms, back, and neck should be angled. It is a matter of mindset, proven exercises, and more importantly, equipping your office with the right furniture and fixtures, so employees can improve productivity and health during the day.
Creating a Healthy Workplace
Most people would say that their existing postures help them carry out their daily tasks just fine. What they do not know is, that in the long run, the postures they are used to may eventually lead to physical impairments. Misaligned joints and misused muscles can lead to acute fatigue, injuries, work place stress, and long term health risks (i.e., the constriction of blood flow and musculoskeletal disorder, also known as MSD.).
It may not be entirely possible to calculate every angle of your body while you’re at the office working. However these simple guidelines can significantly improve you and your employee’s health, in and outside of the office.
Improving Body Posture
- A person’s body has a specific state of calmness. This means a balance can be achieved between a relaxed posture, as well as a productive one. Achieving a tranquil position enables a person to be effective in accomplishing tasks, while avoiding work-related health risks.
- Work posture should be based on the activities that an employee has to conduct. If an employee is usually seated, then proper seating positions and arm and leg placement should be considered through employee education. However, if an employee has labor-related duties, then educated on proper body positions when lifting heavy materials and operating complicated machinery should be considered.
- Encouraging fifteen minute breaks in the morning and the afternoon can give employees an opportunity to get up from their desks and improve circulation.
Posture-Perfect Office Fixtures
Meanwhile, a well-maintained office desk and chair is another necessity to further encourage good working posture. While there are many complicated features that commercial office chairs can offer, there are basic features to consider:
- An office chair should be properly anchored. This generally means five legs at the base with wheels which enables employees to move freely while working.
- Adjustable office chairs are another important fixture. Depending on the employee’s leg length, the seat can be modified in such a way that the employee’s feet are planted and parallel on the floor.
- Office chairs should also properly support the back as well as the arms, and lastly, the axis of the chair should enable an employee to spin around to feel less constrained and move from side to side.
Aside from achieving the proper stances and acquiring good office fixtures, regular exercises and stretches can significantly help employees achieve the best posture possible. Ultimately, a healthy working environment, aside from functionality, should be maintained. A combination of these tips can improve posture and ensure longevity to productively carry out the work day.
Anna Francesca is an avid writer, writing on behalf of Empire Business Furniture. Anna enthusiastically explores about consumer passions as a catalyst for lifestyle and enterprise opportunities. She is also a music geek, a fan of European languages, an ardent reader, and very gung-ho on all things new and interesting.
© YFS Magazine. All Rights Reserved. Copying prohibited. All material is protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this material is prohibited. Sharing of this material under Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International terms, listed here, is permitted.