fbpx

3 Ways to Overcome Mental Setbacks in Business

The way I approach certain situations in my mind (i.e. entrepreneurial mindset), is what really helps me move through the roadblocks and setbacks when they occur.


Sometimes when you’re not seeing business results, even when you’re pushing so hard, it’s very easy to want to give it all up and throw in the towel. But I’ve personally found that the way I approach certain situations in my mind (i.e. entrepreneurial mindset), is what really helps me move through the roadblocks and setbacks when they occur.

Here are three ways to move past mental challenges in business.

1. Embrace uncertainty and hardship.

Sounds a bit cliche, but I believe that uncertainty is part of starting and running your own business. Even when things are going great. Constantly trying to avoiding uncertainty is usually what gets you stuck.

From personal experience I’ve found that the more certainty, I sought in business, the more stuck I became. The more I focused only on things I thought would create certainty, the harder it was to gain traction.

When I started to focus more on being interesting and resonating with people I wanted to work with, I started to change things in my business. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a photographer, fashion designer or business coach, resonating with prospective buyers is ultimately what will bring certainty; and get you moving from stuck to momentum.

2. Focus on your actions, not your passion.

It’s all well and good to say you became a freelancer or solopreneur to do what you love, but what most entrepreneurs never tell you is this: when you’re just getting started you may only get to do what you love 20 percent of the time. The other 80 percent of your time, is spent marketing (i.e. being interesting and resonating with people) which is something you may not love so much, but it is absolutely essential.  The business aspects of ‘doing what you love’ enable you spend that 20 percent of your time pursuing your passion.

You will become ‘unstuck’ when you accept that your business is not solely about your passion, but how good you resonate and connect with people.

Every single day, ask yourself: “What actions am I taking to resonate with people?”

People only begin to care when they find you interesting. Things changed for me in business when I finally understood this concept. Don’t follow your passions, instead follow your effort to resonate and be interesting — it will lead you to your passions and then to success.

3. Realize that customers don’t care until you begin to care.

Sounds harsh, but it’s true. People don’t really care until you begin to care.

Here’s what I’ve learned on my entrepreneurship journey so far. When I’ve held back because I wasn’t sure people would like something, I became stale and uninteresting.

Regardless of your industry, it is important to remain interesting. For example, if I am able to share my small business journey, and things that I’m doing (or have done), then you can identify with me. This type of authenticity builds traction and can get you moving.

Don’t be afraid to be vulnerable from time to time. People resonate with people. The more people say, “Wow, I’m going through the same thing!” as they follow your journey, the more unstuck you become and realize that we are all overcoming small business challenges.

Remember, people don’t want you to be something you’re not, they just want you to be more of you and not afraid to show it.

 

© YFS Magazine. All Rights Reserved. Copying prohibited. All material is protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this material is prohibited. Sharing of this material under Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International terms, listed here, is permitted.

   

In this article

Copy link
Powered by Social Snap