Core values are essential for startups and small businesses. They act as a guide to all aspects of how a company operates, develops its company culture, and engages the public. Here’s a look at 50 core values, from culture-driven companies, that we can get behind.
Gusto provides a cloud-based payroll, benefits, and human resource management solution for businesses.
- Ownership mentality–Every employee has the power to make our company better.
- Don’t optimize for the short term–Short-term gains never justify long-term sacrifice. Invest in the future.
- We are all builders–We are collectively building the product and company of our dreams.
- Go the extra mile–Go beyond delivering what works. Discover what delights.
- Do what’s right–What is right isn’t the same as what is easy.
- Be transparent–Share information. Share mistakes. Share victories.
Warby Parker is a lifestyle brand that offers designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading way for socially conscious businesses.
- Treat customers the way we’d like to be treated–They don’t call it the golden rule for nothing. Shopping for glasses should be fun, easy, and not ridiculously expensive.
- Create an environment where employees can think big, have fun, and do good–Sometimes people say to us: “If you love your job so much, why don’t you marry it?” (Answer: we would if we could.)
- Get out there–No company is an island. Serving the community is in our DNA—from distributing a pair of frames for every pair sold to sponsoring local Little League teams (Go Giants! Go Skyscrapers!). We also work with Verité to ensure that our factories have fair working conditions and happy employees.
- Green is good–Warby Parker is one of the only carbon-neutral eyewear brands in the world.
WeWork provides shared workspaces for technology startup subculture communities, and services for entrepreneurs, freelancers, startups, small businesses and large enterprises.
- Inspired–We do what we love and are connected to something greater than ourselves.
- Entrepreneurial–We are creators, leaders, and self-starters. We try new things, we challenge convention, and we’re not afraid to fail.
- Authentic–We are genuine to our brand, mission, and values. We’re not perfect, and we don’t pretend to be. We are always honest and as transparent as we can be.
- Tenacious–We never settle. We get shit done and we get it done well. Be persistent and knock down walls–literally if you have to. You have our permission.
- Grateful–We are grateful for each other, our members, and to be part of this movement. We don’t take success for granted. We’re happy to be alive.
- Together–We are in this together. This is a team effort. We always look out for one another. We have empathy, we know we’re all human, and know we can’t do any of this alone.
Drybar is a retail chain exclusively for blow-drying hair for a reduced price compared to traditional salons.
- It’s the experience–The single most important part of the Drybar experience is the way we make people feel. We are committed to making our clients feel likea million bucks.
- It’s not just blowouts–It’s confidence. And happiness. It’s artistry and quality.
- Be yourself–Tattoos, piercings, quirky laugh and all! It’s what makes you special and interesting. As Gaga says, “I’m on the right track baby, I was born this way.”
- Embrace the power of random acts of kindness–Selfless acts of kindness make someone’s moment/day/week. This defines you, you define us.
- Have fun–Laugh, smile, dance! Look beautiful! Life is too short to be someplace lame.
- Always be growing–There is tremendous opportunity ahead for allof us. You commit to helping us grow and we’ll do the same for you.
- Nothing is sexier than honesty and humility–Arrogance and cockiness are gross.
- Actions speak louder than words–Be sexy.Make a difference. Have an opinion, a point of view. Have the courage to stand up and make a difference.
- Pretty is as pretty does–Be a good person. Care about people.You’re only as pretty on the outside as you are on the inside.
- We are family–Drybar was started by family. You are part of our family.
The Honest Company
The Honest Company creates eco-friendly, convenient, and affordable products for babies and homes.
- Create a culture of honesty–We are serious about honesty – both as it applies to the integrity of our relationships and in being true to you. And, it’s a standard we encourage throughout our staff, stakeholders, and customers. But, that’s just the beginning. In all we do, we want to make each day a little more fulfilling, inspired, and downright better.
- Make beauty–Your home sets the stage for your life. We design our products that add to the beauty of your surroundings (instead of things you want to hide in drawers and under sinks). We like to play with rich colours, whimsical details, modern shapes, and multi-cultural inspirations.
- Outperform–Modern families are busy and everything matters. That’s why we craft products that will perform to the highest standards of effectiveness. Products that take care. Products that exceed expectations. Products guaranteed to not only satisfy, but also delight. We are relentless in the pursuit to be attentive to every detail.
- Service matters–We know exceptional service is important, and we intend to go above and beyond, and way over the top. We believe that a deeper level of trust can be built with incredible service. And knowing when to say “sorry”, dedicate to making it right…all with a super big smile. Serving you better is also about listening and being open to dialogue – that’s when we have the opportunity to learn the most (so thank you).
- Sustain life–We believe if you can make an amazing product without harming people or the planet, you should (and we do believe we can). We feel tremendous responsibility to this planet we call home. We are serious about being honest stewards of the natural environment and protectors of the (little) people. Therefore, we seek to inspire new solutions, reduce our collective impact, cause no unnecessary harm, and make products that are as non-toxic and healthy as possible.
- Be accessible–We strive to make our products as affordable as possible. And what’s more convenient than having it shipped right to your door? We want every family to have the opportunity to be a part of The Honest Company experience. Accessibility is a promise to openly listen to you & collaborate–so that with you, we can continually become better and always improve.
- Pay it forward–As parents, we teach our kids to be kind and respectful citizens and as a company, we feel it’s just as important. We are committed to both individual and corporate social responsibility – taking selfless actions that benefit others. This includes charitable partnerships, working with advocates on promoting policy changes that better protect our children and planet, and supporting the efforts of our employees with paid community service days and direct matches of non-profit donations.
- Fun!–We constantly seek ways to create it, have it, and share it as much as possible.
Vega is a premium brand of convenient, plant-based, real-food alternatives.
- Keep your word–Demonstrate integrity, be honest, respect others, and choose ethically.
- Perform better–Set goals, be performance driven, stand accountable, challenge “good enough,” and improve. Constantly.
- Serve with passion–Listen, understand, solve problems, over-deliver, and astound every customer.
- Own your work–Take ownership, drive action, show initiative, be proud, and speak up.
- Play as a team–Contribute, empower, mentor, share, and celebrate together.
Atlassian provides collaboration software for teams with products including JIRA, Confluence, HipChat, Bitbucket, and Stash.
- Open company, no bullshit–Openness is root level for us. Information is open internally by default and sharing is a first principle. And we understand that speaking your mind requires equal parts brains (what to say), thoughtfulness (when to say it), and caring (how it’s said).
- Build with heart and balance–“Measure twice, cut once.” Whether you’re building a birdhouse or a business, this is good advice. Passion and urgency infuse everything we do, alongside the wisdom to consider options fully and with care. Then we make the cut, and we get to work.
- Don’t #@!% the customer–Customers are our lifeblood. Without happy customers, we’re doomed. So considering the customer perspective – collectively, not just a handful – comes first.
- Play, as a team–We spend a huge amount of our time at work. So the more that time doesn’t feel like “work,” the better. We can be serious, without taking ourselves too seriously. We strive to put what’s right for the team first – whether in a meeting room or on a football pitch.
- Be the change you seek–All Atlassians should have the courage and resourcefulness to spark change – to make better our products, our people, our place. Continuous improvement is a shared responsibility. Action is an independent one.
Lyft designs, markets, and operates a mobile application that matches drivers with passengers who request rides.
- Be yourself–Live authentically and trust your voice. You belong here.
- Uplift others–Take care of each other — no matter which seat you’re sitting in.
- Make it happen–Own the work. Focus on impact. Reimagine what’s possible.
Chobani, LLC produces and markets non-GMO Greek yogurt.
- Giving back–Through our initiatives, we give back to our communities and empower our employees to volunteer.
- Innovation–The spark that started the Chobani journey is still alive and well. From giving our employees stock in our company, to dreaming up new products for our supporters, we have never stopped innovating.
- Better food–We believe in honest food made the right way. Our mission is to bring high-quality yogurt to more people and create positive change in our country’s food culture.